The location of the building, constructed in 1845, was thoroughly considered. The site was selected to be conveniently approached in the old part of the town, between the Ludza Road (nowadays, Latgale Street) and the Rezekne River. The building functioned both as a house of worship, and an educational establishment – a training residence.
The economic boost of the city in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century provided an opportunity to renew and to build up the Synagogue that was worn down by that time. In 1939, significant reconstructions were carried out. The last overhaul was performed in the 1970-ties at the expense of the financial means devoted by Savel Cherfas (Zāvels Čerfass), the principal of the synagogue. The synagogue ceased to exist, when the building was closed down in 1990 due to its critical damage condition.
The house of worship, which had not functioned since 1990, opened its doors to visitors on January 22, 2016, when inhabitants and guests of Rezekne were addressed by the persons in charge of the renovation of the Synagogue. On January 23, the first service took place again, bringing together the representatives of the Jewish community of Rezekne and guests of the city.